In Wigan, we believe all children should feel happy, cared for, safe and ready to learn. Children are individuals, and all develop at their own pace, but as a Parent or Carer you are their greatest teacher and role model.
To prepare them for school:
- Teach & help them with their toilet training, and to wash their hands afterwards
- Reduce dummy time to bed time only
Teach them to;
- Dress themselves
- Put on their own coat
- Fasten zips & buttons
- Use a knife & fork
- Open packets and peel fruit
Children under 5 should be active for at least 3 hours a day.
- Spinning around
- Going on swings
- Crawling like a bear
- Slithering like a snake
- Rolling down hills
Play can be indoors or out – simply walking to the shops counts too. Did you know, climbing frames help develop the right muscles for writing?
Help your child build healthy relationships
- Have a regular routine to let your child know what happens next; think bath time & stories to help your child unwind for bed
- Help them recognise it’s ok to not be happy all the time, talk about being happy, sad or tired and how that feels for them
- Socialise at groups and with family and friends
- ‘Together time’ is crucial
- Show them how to share & take turns with others
Start Well Family Centres provide support and activities to help parents, carers and childcare providers give children under five the 'best start in life'. These include:
- Early education and play
- Health services
- Information and advice about children’s services
- Parenting support.
Where are they?
There are five main centres:
Each will have a timetable of sessions of what is on available and where they will take place.