Choosing childcare can be a difficult decision it is a huge part of your child’s development and helps them become more independent learning through play building friendships and gaining skills that will help them through life.
Here in Wigan all our childcare providers are fully inclusive and cater for children with additional needs. Professionals working with you and your child will be able to give you information and advice on your best options.
Childminders attend training and will work with parents and other professionals to provide the care each individual child needs.
Day nurseries, Pre Schools and School nurseries all have a SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator). The SENCO will work with parents, teachers and other professionals to provide any additional support needed for each individual child.
Out of school Clubs will attend training and work with parents and other professionals to give the best care they can.
In Wigan we have Special Schools who cater for children with complex needs. You can find out more about each one by selecting the links below.
There are specific criteria for special school admissions.
- Hope School - Located in the Winstanely area and is for ages 2 to 19 years.
- Landgate School - Located in the Ashton-In-Makerfield area and is for ages 4 to 19 years.
- Newbridge Community Learning - Located in the Platt Bridge area and is for ages 11 to 16 years.
- Oakfield High School - Located in Hindley Green area and is for ages 11 to 19 years.
- Rowan Tree Primary School - Located in Atherton and is for ages 2 to 11
- Willow Grove Primary School - Located in Ashton-In-Makerfield and is for ages 5 to 11
For help choosing childcare providers please select, view all services, then use the filters to narrow your search.
Other useful links